Travel Inspired Movies to Stream
For over a century, movies have proven to be the ideal escape. Romance, action, thrillers, fantasy, classics — not only do we get caught up in the characters and the stories, but we also get drawn into the settings. With that in mind, here are 14 movies you can stream that truly showcase some of the world’s most inspiring locales.
EAT, PRAY, LOVE (2010)
In this charming film based on the life of writer Elizabeth Gilbert, Julia Roberts not only discovers herself, but also the spirit and beauty of four remarkable locales: New York City, Italy, India and Bali.
Dev Patel gives a phenomenal performance in this powerful drama that follows an
orphaned boy raised in Australia returning home to India to find his family.
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (2011)
The City of Light plays a major role — both the modern and the 1920s versions — in this time-traveling comedyromance starring Owen Wilson and written and directed by Woody Allen.
MAMMA MIA! (2008)
Watching this star-studded musical based off the longloved play will inspire you to place Greece at the very top of your bucket list.
BEFORE SUNRISE TRILOGY (1995, 2004, 2013)
Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy explore the stages of relationships across three movies, all shot in realtime as the couple wanders through Vienna, Paris and southern Greece.
LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003)
Sophia Coppola’s awardwinning comedy-drama is a mesmerizing look at culture shock told through the eyes of two Americans in Tokyo — one world-weary actor and a young woman on the cusp of life.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY (2001-2003)
Even if you’re not into the most epic fantasy story ever told, you can simply mute your television and just enjoy the mighty mountains and enchanting landscapes of New Zealand.
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL (2003)
The original movie is still the best of the franchise, not only because it contains the tightest plot, but mostly due to many scenes filmed on St Vincent in the Grenadines.
THE BEACH (2000)
The gorgeous scenery of Thailand is on full display in this tense thriller about Leo
DiCaprio finding a strange map that leads him to a mysterious beach.
Other Great Travel Inspired Movies
• The Hundred-Foot Journey (India, France)
• The Motorcycle Diaries (Bolivia, Chile, Venezuela, Peru)
• A Good Year (France)
• The Descendants (Hawaii)
• Out of Africa (Kenya, England)
• Under the Tuscan Sun (Tuscany, France)
• French Kiss (France)
• La La Land (USA)
• Crazy Rich Asians (Singapore)
• Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Hawaii)
• La La Land (USA)
• Captain Corelli’s Mandolin (Greece)
• P.S. I Love You (NYC, Ireland)
• The Talented Mr. Ripley (Italy)
• The Da Vinci Code (France, England)
• Angels & Demons (Rome)
• Harry Potter Series (England, Scotland)
• Jason Bourne Series (Paris, Russia, NYC, India,Philippines)
• Indiana Jones Series (Africa, Asia, Middle East)
• Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Greenland, Iceland, Afghanistan)
• Love Actually (London)
• The Bucket List (France, China, India, Egypt, Tanzania)
Family Friendly & Animated Movies
• Lizzy McGuire Movie (Rome)
• Nim’s Island (South Pacific)
• Paddington (London, England)
• Jurassic Park Series (Kauai, Hawaii)
• Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Greece, Mexico)
• Aladdin (Morocco)
• Mary Poppins (London)
• Sound of Music (Austria)
• Coco (Mexico)
• Rio (Brazil)
• Brave (Scotland)
• Ratatouille (France)
• Up (South America)
• Moana (South Pacific)
• Lilo & Stitch (Hawaii)
• Finding Nemo (Australia)
• Frozen (Norway)
Published In Armchair Explorer - April 14, 2020